Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Home Is Where They Stand By You

It's not often I'll quote al-Jazeera, but this is the exception. "The Bulgarian president has pardoned five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian-born doctor, convicted in Libya of infecting children with HIV. Georgi Parvanov pardoned the health workers on Tuesday after they arrived in Sofia, Bulgaria's capital, having spent eight and a half years in a Libyan prison." Here are some of their stories:

Valentina Siropulo, 48, nurse: "I confessed during torture with electricity. They put small wires on my toes and on my thumbs. Sometimes they put one on my thumb and another on either my tongue, neck or ear ...

Kristiana Valcheva, 48, nurse: "I was tortured with electric shocks, beaten and submitted to every kind of torture known since the Middle Ages. ...

Ashraf Juma Hajuj, Palestinian doctor granted Bulgarian citizenship: "I thank great Bulgaria ... I am happy that all this ended well. Hope dies last."

Nothing follows.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alex Sloat said...

But just remember, it's US torture that needs to be condemned most of all. Electrical torture is one thing, but Koran touching and forcing prisoners to stand up is simply a crime against humanity.

7/24/2007 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger Yashmak said...

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this. Perhaps that's part of the media's rationalization process for not reporting such things. . .

"Well, EVERYONE knows those guys torture. . that's not news!"

7/25/2007 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

"The Bulgarian president has pardoned five Bulgarian nurses"


Can someone explain to me why the Bulgarian President would NEED to pardon anyone who has not committed a crime in Bulgaria?

7/25/2007 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger NahnCee said...

For the headline value? To underscore and highlight the idiot viciousness of Libya.

Makes me wonder just how poor old Khaddafi is becoming in his old age that he has to stoop to such ticky-tacky kidnapping games to earn himself a million or two.

7/25/2007 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Now, where are all the liberals who scream about torture by the U.S.?

7/26/2007 03:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger