Grist for the today's mill:
- Christians Must 'Let Go' For Peace -- Theologian: “The most basic Christian commitment … is that we say we believe in the Lordship of Jesus. But, if we claim that, how can a Muslim or Jew trust us, if we say Jesus is the Lord of all Lords?” (Tennesean)
- Poison Rumors Sweep Russia: Former Russian Prime Minister Yegor Gaidar is being treated in a Moscow after falling violently ill on a trip to Ireland on 24 November. Mr Gaidar’s daughter Maria said “doctors incline towards the view that his symptoms… indicate poisoning”. (BBC)
- Pelosi Rejects 9/11 Panel Reforms: Incoming Speaker Nancy Pelosi may reject 9/11 Panel recommendations to reform Congressional intelligence oversight in order to give Murtha a ‘consolation prize’ and remove Harman under the Panel-rejected ‘term limit’ concept. (Washington Post)
- Hezbollah and Aoun Taking It To the Streets: Hezbollah and its allies in the Free Patriot Movement (FPM) will hold mass protests in Beirut on Friday in an open bid to bring down the current Lebanese government. (AP/Breitbart)
- Iraq Study Group to Recommend Pullout: The Dec. 6 final report of the Baker-Hamilton Iraq Study Group will call for a gradual pullback of U.S. forces in Iraq but won’t set a timetable, according to “people familiar with the panel’s deliberations. (NY Times)
If you ever live to a ripe old age how many of the stories you will tell your grandchildren will be sad? Not in that they tell of death and misfortune, but in that they recall betrayed love and the futility of hope? Every generation should feel the weight of myth and legend behind it, and the dark wind of the stars ahead. That is all that civilization can bequeath to its young and all that civilization is. Men abjure their beliefs, poison their rivals, sell the safety of fellows for a dish of pottage. Our enemy advances and we embrace retreat. Where is our myth? Where is our legend?
Perhaps we may write it yet, because our story isn't finished. "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions." And not all of them will be sad.